Monday, January 18, 2010

A night of random fridge god gifts!



So a few days ago I opened the fridge and was assaulted with leftovers. You know all those odds and ends from entertaining and the little extras of family night dinners? Well my B.D. hates leftovers. You cannot understand how much he hates them. So I must disguise them into something new, or else he discover me and rain down his sarcastic wrath! (He's a total sweetie just a little grumpy sometimes!)

So the other night I opened the fridge door and was assaulted by some oddities. The night before was taco night so I had cheese and many other prepped items. I also had one of my favorite people over for dinner. The only issue is she is a vegetarian. (I love her anyway but it can be hard.) So with my hatred of fake food I wandered over through the interwebs to the lovely Jaqueline over at the Sweet Beet And Green Bean. I love her recipes! Vegan deliciousness, normally I find veggan food dull but she is wicked! Anyways I made these. They were fantastic even my B.D. liked it! Jaqueline has inspired me to do at least one veggie/vegan night a week.

So anyway for dinner I made a Basil and Rosemary Chicken Breast with Cherry Tomatoes (a little to wrinkly for salad) and Capers with Red Wine (it was open.) I would have preffered white but I was out. I also made stuffed biscuits with potato, thyme, cheddar, and the eggplant carnitas from above. They turned out pretty tasty. Here are the recipes!

Chicken with Basil, Rosemary, Tomatoes and Capers
5 Chicken Breasts
1 pint Cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup capers
1 sprig fresh rosemary(roughly chopped)
1/2 bunch fresh basil (torn)
1/3 cup red wine
1/2 cup chicken broth or Veg broth, whatever you have lying around
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste


Chop Cherry tomatoes in half and toss in a skillet at med high heat with just enough olive oil to coat the pan. Add in capers and toss until tomatoes get a little wrinkly. Season to taste and set aside.


Turn heat up to high. Season chicken breasts to taste. Add Veg oil to pan. (Or canola or even pam. Anything with a high smoke point! Sprinkle herbs onto pan and lay chicken breasts on top.


Sear until lovely brown and the herbs are stuck to the chicken, about 4 minutes. Sear other side until it's as pretty as the first side. add you liquid turn to med low and cover. Let simmer for about 10 minutes or until the juices run clear.


Place chicken on a plate or butcher block, I love my butcher block. It makes me happy. to rest while you finish the sauce. Turn pan back up to high and reduce liquid down by 1/2 to 1/3 of the liquid remains. Toss Tomato and caper mixture in with the sauce and pour on top of the chicken breasts serve family style with Mixed greens and....

Stuffed Biscuits, Done however you want!

FILLING;
3 medium-small potatoes (or 2 large, 5 baby ect. ect.)
1 small onion (finely diced)
1 sprig thyme (roughly chopped)
1/3 eggplant carnita mix
1/3 shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp butter
salt to taste


BISCUIT;
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
half a cup of water (room temp, this also may fluctuate)


preheat oven to 375F
Boil potatoes until very tender. I like cutting them up into itty bitty cubes. They cook faster and make me happy!You like my paper towel back drop?


Sift dry ingredients together and create a well. add your eggs into well.


stir until it comes together if too dry slowly add water. You need a very stiff dough so be careful!


knead about 8-10 times cover and let rest for 20 minutes


Your potatoes should be done now so it's time to mix it up! Add butter and thyme and mash together. Then mix in other ingredients
Tee hee. Cubes.


roll into a cylinder and slice in 3/4 inch slices. You should end up with about 16 slices



flatten the slices and add about a tablespoon of the mixture to a slice and fold it up!


place on baking sheet 1 1/2 -2 inches apart
bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown



Now eat your little heart out! Enjoy!
-Lexi

No comments:

Post a Comment