Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Domestic Goddess


So I know I said I wouldn't be posting again until I moved. I lied. Well didn't lie, our move in day got pushed back to the 4th so I figured I could shoot off a post. Something simple and easy... So who better than the queen of simple classy cuisine? I am of course speaking of Nigella! I love her. I think a part of it goes back to when I was 16 and she had an episode of how to cook for a dinner party when hungover. The episode started with her bleary eyed and scrambling for a cure. I still use her recipe to this day. But that is another story.


So this is a recipe from her book How To Be A Domestic Goddess. I love this book. The photos are fantastic and such great simple recipes. As I am in the process of being covered in dust and paper cuts, I wanted something simple. So I made this Savory Onion Tart. It is to me pure comfort food (second only to mac and cheese.) A sweet cheesy sconey goodness all together in one. I'm working on making these individual and I'll let you know the best way to do it soon!


So without further ado.....

Savory Onion Tart (addapted from Nigella Lawson)
(this is the way I made it I have added the actual recipe in brackets)

Filling
2 large videlia onions (or 4 red onions)
2 tbsp butter (1)
2 tbsp olive oil (1)
4 sprigs of thyme roughly chopped (same)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (not in actual recipe)
2 oz shredded gruyere cheese (same)

(I really like this pic!)

Crust
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp roasted pepper mustard (the actual recipe called for dried but I was out!)
1 egg
3 oz shredded cheese

So start by preheating your oven too 400f. Put your olive oil and butter into your pan on medium heat. Cut your onions in half then cut those halves into four. When your butter and oil start to bubble throw in your onions. Let those slowly saute until caramalized, about thirty minutes.
mmmm butter and oil. My cooking secret? I always add just a little bit extra!

Make sure you stir those often! Don't hover just go toss em around every now and then. Like in between getting your dough together!
Start your dough by mixing your dry ingredients. These would be your flour, salt, baking powder and cheese. In another bowl mix your wet ingredients. These would be your milk, egg, butter and mustard. (If you are using dry mustard it goes in here too. I could come up with some bs reason but I won't. It's because Nigella says so!)
Then mix them all together. Use a spoon, fork, I use my hand. I like to get messy, that's how I roll. Mix it up till it forms a ball. Let your ball rest for, oh lets say, 15 minutes. Nigella doesn't let her ball rest. I do, plus your onions prolly won't be ready till then.

Now butter a pie dish. Are your onions done yet? They should be. If not have a beer and come back to me..... Now they are done. So you are now going to add your roughly chopped thyme and balsamic vinegar. saute it for about two minutes or until your vinegar becomes syrupy and sticks to your onions. then pur it in to your buttered pie plate.
Sprinkle your Gruyere over top of the onions and pound out your dough. You can use a rolling pin or your hands.

I like using my hands it maked it all rustic. That and I don't have to clean my rolling pin. Lay your dough over top of your onions and tuck it under a little!
Bake for 15 minutes at 400f then turn down your oven to 350f and bake for another 10. (If you are like me and have a super slow electric oven do the 400f for 10 and the 350f for 15.)

Pull her out and let cool for about 5 minutes. Then run a butter knife around the edge and invert onto a plate. I had to let it sit for another 5 minutes before it came loose but it's well worth the wait! And look how perfectly it tuned out!!
It was soo tasty and simple and vegetarian! This with a "meaty" salad (I served it with avacado, mandarin and strawberry salad) is a perfect meal when wishing for spring!
Enjoy! Next time I'm posting I will be in my new hood!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment